What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 157 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Guard New Product Development tactics and frame using storytelling to create more compelling New Product Development projects.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Is there a New Product Development Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good New Product Development project manager?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in New Product Development?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Merge Association of International Product Marketing & Management tactics and observe effective Association of International Product Marketing & Management.
– Are assumptions made in New Product Development stated explicitly?
– Is Supporting New Product Development documentation required?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
X-ray Best practice tactics and point out improvements in Best practice.
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What are best practices for building something like a News Feed?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
– What is our New Product Development Strategy?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Brand management leadership and forecast involvement of future Brand management projects in development.
– How do we know that any New Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Trace Choice modelling issues and find out.
– How important is New Product Development to the user organizations mission?
– Are accountability and ownership for New Product Development clearly defined?
– Are there recognized New Product Development problems?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Refer to Conceptual economy tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Conceptual economy.
– How do we manage New Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What are the usability implications of New Product Development actions?
– How do we maintain New Product Developments Integrity?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Consumer good leadership and assess and formulate effective operational and Consumer good strategies.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to New Product Development?
– Can we do New Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Is there any existing New Product Development governance structure?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Customer requirement planning and track iterative Customer requirement results.
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing New Product Development? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– What are the business goals New Product Development is aiming to achieve?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Customer value proposition quality and devote time assessing Customer value proposition and its risk.
– How likely is the current New Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What is the purpose of New Product Development in relation to the mission?
– Are there New Product Development problems defined?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Design for assembly adoptions and integrate design thinking in Design for assembly innovation.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which New Product Development models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if New Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are internal and external New Product Development relations?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Chart Design for manufacturability adoptions and assess what counts with Design for manufacturability that we are not counting.
– Does New Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our New Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Boost Design for six sigma governance and transcribe Design for six sigma as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How can we improve New Product Development?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Confer re Detailed design document goals and find out.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of New Product Development into the services that we provide?
– Who needs to know about New Product Development ?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Deduce Engineering design tasks and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Engineering design information.
– To what extent does management recognize New Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– Do New Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How can the value of New Product Development be defined?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
See the value of Flexible product development issues and define what our big hairy audacious Flexible product development goal is.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once New Product Development is underway?
– How do we ensure that implementations of New Product Development products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Have the types of risks that may impact New Product Development been identified and analyzed?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on High-level design decisions and ask questions.
– What vendors make products that address the New Product Development needs?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Industrial design risks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Industrial design decisions.
– what is the best design framework for New Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What will drive New Product Development change?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Refer to Integrated Authority File management and look in other fields.
– Does New Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Integrated product team tactics and drive action.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent New Product Development services/products?
– What are the barriers to increased New Product Development production?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Guard Market opportunity decisions and research ways can we become the Market opportunity company that would put us out of business.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for New Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– How do we keep improving New Product Development?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Systematize Market penetration decisions and get going.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to New Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Which New Product Development goals are the most important?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Judge Market research governance and acquire concise Market research education.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– How can you negotiate New Product Development successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Market share outcomes and sort Market share activities.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
– How do we Identify specific New Product Development investment and emerging trends?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Communicate about National Diet Library results and describe which business rules are needed as National Diet Library interface.
– Does New Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Shape Phase–gate model projects and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Phase–gate model.
– How do we go about Securing New Product Development?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Add value to Pro-innovation bias management and develop and take control of the Pro-innovation bias initiative.
– Can we add value to the current New Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Process management strategies and adjust implementation of Process management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a New Product Development strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a New Product Development project?
– Will New Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Product Development and Management Association results and report on the economics of relationships managing Product Development and Management Association and constraints.
– What are specific New Product Development Rules to follow?
– What about New Product Development Analysis of results?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Product design issues and find answers.
– In the case of a New Product Development project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a New Product Development project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any New Product Development project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– For your New Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Think about Product lifecycle management and correct better engagement with Product lifecycle results.
– What are our New Product Development Processes?
– Are there New Product Development Models?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Product management governance and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Product management is getting what it needs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about New Product Development. How do we gain traction?
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– Will New Product Development have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Product strategy planning and proactively manage Product strategy risks.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed New Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– Does our organization need more New Product Development education?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
– Do we have past New Product Development Successes?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Quality function deployment quality and adopt an insight outlook.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that New Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What is our formula for success in New Product Development ?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Align Requirements engineering issues and oversee Requirements engineering management by competencies.
– How do we Improve New Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Requirements management risks and point out Requirements management tensions in leadership.
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Social design issues and gather practices for scaling Social design.
– Is New Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is Effective New Product Development?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Soft launch leadership and proactively manage Soft launch risks.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this New Product Development process?
– Who sets the New Product Development standards?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Stevens Institute of Technology quality and overcome Stevens Institute of Technology skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom New Product Development project?
– How will you measure your New Product Development effectiveness?
– Is a New Product Development Team Work effort in place?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Grade Supply chain decisions and catalog what business benefits will Supply chain goals deliver if achieved.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with New Product Development ?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
– What threat is New Product Development addressing?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Contribute to User-centered design projects and oversee implementation of User-centered design.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of New Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How can you measure New Product Development in a systematic way?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Gauge User experience strategies and achieve a single User experience view and bringing data together.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate New Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– Who will provide the final approval of New Product Development deliverables?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Analyze Verification and validation engagements and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Verification and validation.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective New Product Development leader?
– Does New Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Probe Virtual product development risks and correct Virtual product development management by competencies.
– What are the disruptive New Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do the New Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Voice of the customer engagements and create a map for yourself.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the New Product Development process?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New Product Development External links:
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
ALTA – Best Practices
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Brand management External links:
Our Brand Management Solution – MarketNow – …
Choice modelling External links:
Is Biogeme good for Choice Modelling? – researchgate.net
[PDF]Framing for incentive compatibility in choice modelling
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
Consumer Goods – Investopedia
Customer requirement External links:
Aquiss Internet : Customer Requirement System
Customer Requirement Information – Kansas Wildlife, …
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – …
Customer value proposition External links:
Customer Value Proposition (CVP) framework | ToolsHero
[PDF]Customer Value Proposition – Porter Instrument
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Design for assembly External links:
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design For Assembly – davidkerr.solutions
[PDF]Detailed Design For Assembly Guidelines
Design for manufacturability External links:
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
Collaborative Engineering – Design for Manufacturability
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Design for six sigma for service (Book, 2005) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]DESIGN FOR SIX SIGMA – Argi
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document Format
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the …
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
Flexible product development External links:
Jan 01, 2007 · Flexible Product Development has 6 ratings and 1 review. In this landmark book, Preston Smith attributes the recent decline in innovation to …
Industrial design External links:
Home | TXS INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
freeform | Industrial Design & User Experience
Integrated Authority File External links:
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
MEDLARS indexing integrated authority file : chemical section
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – U.S. Army PM PNT – …
Integrated product team
An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
What is market opportunity analysis? | Reference.com
Market Opportunity | Aprecia
Market penetration External links:
Market Penetration – Investopedia
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
The Complete Guide to Market Penetration | Smartling
Market research External links:
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Market share External links:
Title Market Share
California Insurance Market Share Reports
www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
National Diet Library External links:
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
Free Data Service | National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Process management External links:
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Process Management System | InTechOpen – Open …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Recent Jobs – Product Development and Management Association
Product Development and Management Association – …
Product design External links:
Product Design and Development by PDT | PDT
Product lifecycle External links:
CMPRO Product Lifecycle Management Software by PSA Inc.
Product Lifecycle (PowerPoint) – Flevy.com
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Product management External links:
2018 Product Management Bulletins
Sequent Learning Networks – Product Management …
Product Management | Careers at U.S. Bank
Product strategy External links:
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Quality function deployment External links:
Quality Function Deployment in Excel | Excel QFD Template
Quality Function Deployment for Competitive Advantage
www.isixsigma.com › … › QFD/House of Quality
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements engineering (Book, 1996) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Collaborative Requirements Engineering – NIST
Requirements management External links:
Requirements Management | Requirements Software | …
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
[PDF]Requirements Management Plan PPM Version 2
Social design External links:
DSI / Social Design
Enable Foundation – Social Design Agency – Home | Facebook
Soft launch External links:
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
All aboard for SMART train ‘soft launch’
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology – Official Site
Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
Welcome to UPS Supply Chain Solutions
Global Supply Chain Risk Management Solutions | Avetta
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
User-centered design External links:
User-Centered Design Process Map | Usability.gov
User experience External links:
User Experience Consulting – Blink UX – Seattle Washington
Google User Experience Research
Lojic | Manufacturing User Experience
Verification and validation External links:
independent verification and validation | MAXIMUS
[PDF]Verification and Validation – University of California, …
International Address Verification and Validation | …
Virtual product development External links:
Caterpillar Virtual Product Development and HPC – YouTube
Virtual Product Development : Doosan Infracore
Voice of the customer External links:
iPerceptions | Full-Service Voice of the Customer solutions
ASQ – Voice of the Customer Webcast