What is involved in Power VM
Find out what the related areas are that Power VM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Power VM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Power VM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Power VM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Power VM related domains to cover and 71 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Power VM, PowerVM, Binary translation, Comparison of platform virtualization software, Hardware virtualization, IBM AIX, IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, Linux on Power, Live Partition Mobility, Micro-Partitioning, Operating system, POWER5, POWER6, POWER7, POWER8, POWER9, PowerPC, Processor core, Software categories, Software developer:
Power VM Critical Criteria:
Test Power VM goals and get out your magnifying glass.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Power VM delivery for example is new software needed?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Power VM opportunities costing us money?
– How do we keep improving Power VM?
PowerVM Critical Criteria:
Examine PowerVM management and overcome PowerVM skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Do Power VM rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How can the value of Power VM be defined?
– What are current Power VM Paradigms?
Binary translation Critical Criteria:
Systematize Binary translation tactics and assess what counts with Binary translation that we are not counting.
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Power VM project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Power VM project lifecycle?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– Who will provide the final approval of Power VM deliverables?
Comparison of platform virtualization software Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Comparison of platform virtualization software governance and budget for Comparison of platform virtualization software challenges.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Power VM study?
– How do we Identify specific Power VM investment and emerging trends?
– Is Power VM Required?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Hardware virtualization results and gather Hardware virtualization models .
– How do we Improve Power VM service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is Supporting Power VM documentation required?
– What are internal and external Power VM relations?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Apply IBM AIX strategies and find out.
– When a Power VM manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What will drive Power VM change?
IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing Critical Criteria:
Mix IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing leadership and cater for concise IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing education.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Power VM models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Power VM forward?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Survey Kernel-based Virtual Machine engagements and intervene in Kernel-based Virtual Machine processes and leadership.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Power VM agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Power VM move?
– What are the long-term Power VM goals?
Linux on Power Critical Criteria:
Dissect Linux on Power tasks and change contexts.
– What vendors make products that address the Power VM needs?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Power VM?
– Why are Power VM skills important?
Live Partition Mobility Critical Criteria:
Frame Live Partition Mobility governance and ask questions.
– Among the Power VM product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Power VM?
– How can skill-level changes improve Power VM?
Micro-Partitioning Critical Criteria:
Guide Micro-Partitioning management and adopt an insight outlook.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Power VM goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do we maintain Power VMs Integrity?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Grasp Operating system quality and get answers.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Power VM product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What is the source of the strategies for Power VM strengthening and reform?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Power VM project?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
POWER5 Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize POWER5 strategies and get going.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Power VM in a volatile global economy?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Power VM project manager?
POWER6 Critical Criteria:
Systematize POWER6 visions and assess what counts with POWER6 that we are not counting.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Power VM processes of our organization?
– What are all of our Power VM domains and what do they do?
– Why is Power VM important for you now?
POWER7 Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on POWER7 visions and report on the economics of relationships managing POWER7 and constraints.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Power VM requirements in detail?
– What is our formula for success in Power VM ?
– How to deal with Power VM Changes?
POWER8 Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate POWER8 decisions and look in other fields.
– How to Secure Power VM?
POWER9 Critical Criteria:
Trace POWER9 strategies and transcribe POWER9 as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What is the purpose of Power VM in relation to the mission?
PowerPC Critical Criteria:
Check PowerPC tactics and pioneer acquisition of PowerPC systems.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Power VM processes?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Power VM?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Power VM activities?
Processor core Critical Criteria:
Categorize Processor core decisions and define Processor core competency-based leadership.
– Can we add value to the current Power VM decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Power VM? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we go about Securing Power VM?
Software categories Critical Criteria:
Use past Software categories governance and pay attention to the small things.
– Do we monitor the Power VM decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Read up on Software developer tasks and arbitrate Software developer techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– Is Power VM dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Power VM effort?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Power VM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
PowerVM External links:
PowerVM – OpenStack
Comparison of platform virtualization software External links:
Comparison of platform virtualization software – …
Hardware virtualization External links:
[Update] Bypass The Hardware Virtualization Requirement …
IBM AIX External links:
IBM AIX MPIO: Best practices and considerations
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
KVM Home Page – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – go4hosting.in
Kernel-based Virtual Machine – Official Site
Linux on Power External links:
Linux on Power – Storix
Docker on Power – Linux on Power
Live Partition Mobility External links:
PowerVM Live Partition Mobility – YouTube
IBM Redbooks | Live Partition Mobility Preparation Checklist
What is Live Partition Mobility for IBM i? | HelpSystems
Operating system External links:
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Which Windows operating system am I running? – …
KAR Management Operating System (MOS) – Login
POWER7 External links:
POWER8 External links:
Data3 – Common Sweden » POWER8 Samlade länkar
Power8 Workshop The Worlds Only Complete Cordless …
Power8 Workshop | CEL-USA
POWER9 External links:
IBM i And AIX Won’t Get Power9 Until 2018 – IT Jungle
PowerPC External links:
RACE++ Series PowerPC 7448 Multicomputer
Software categories External links:
How to Create Custom Software Categories
NCH Software Categories for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS
Software developer External links:
Software Developer Salary and Career Info 2017 | …
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Software Developer | Internal Revenue Service