What is involved in Sustainability
Find out what the related areas are that Sustainability connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Sustainability thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Sustainability Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Sustainability Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Sustainability related domains to cover and 140 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Sustainability, Natural resource management, Global warming, Extreme poverty, Intentional community, Ecological design, Acid rain, Environmental studies, Green accounting, Green cities, Modern architecture, Green anarchism, Environmental Performance Index, Carbon footprint, Holocene extinction, Agrarian community, Gift economy, Greenhouse effect, Human population control, Earth Summit, Fisheries management, Global hectare, Global catastrophic risk, Closed systems, Energy poverty, Environmental design, Integrated Authority File, Brundtland Commission, Cradle-to-cradle design, Ecological engineering, Ecological footprint, Limits to Growth, Chemical engineering, Demand management, Human overpopulation, Emissions trading, Gantry cranes, Environmental finance, Computational sustainability, Millennium Development Goals, Introduced species, Environmental racism, Arne Næss, Interior design, International Conference on Population and Development, Energy conversion efficiency, Environmental science, Appropriate technology, Depletion of resources, Environmental economics, Organic farming, Environmental security, Energy crisis, Local food, International Resource Panel, Food chain, Energy flow, Capital accumulation, Landscape architecture:
Sustainability Critical Criteria:
Derive from Sustainability goals and achieve a single Sustainability view and bringing data together.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Sustainability process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Sustainability process available?
– Has an assessment been conducted to ensure the long-term sustainability of the proposed or established data governance policies and procedures, including adequate staffing, tools, technologies, and resources?
– What is the different in meaning if any between the terms Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility?
– Will sustainability be a key differentiator for companies as global competition intensifies?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Sustainability project?
– What are the long-term Sustainability goals?
– Long term sustainability?
Natural resource management Critical Criteria:
Study Natural resource management issues and adopt an insight outlook.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Sustainability activities?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Sustainability?
– How do we go about Securing Sustainability?
Global warming Critical Criteria:
Merge Global warming adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– what is the best design framework for Sustainability organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are the disruptive Sustainability technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Extreme poverty Critical Criteria:
Dissect Extreme poverty tasks and devise Extreme poverty key steps.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Sustainability study?
– Is Supporting Sustainability documentation required?
Intentional community Critical Criteria:
Participate in Intentional community planning and adjust implementation of Intentional community.
– Among the Sustainability product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is Sustainability dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Which Sustainability goals are the most important?
Ecological design Critical Criteria:
Learn from Ecological design visions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Ecological design.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Sustainability in a volatile global economy?
– Consider your own Sustainability project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Sustainability processes?
Acid rain Critical Criteria:
Drive Acid rain management and budget for Acid rain challenges.
– Do we monitor the Sustainability decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Does Sustainability appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Environmental studies Critical Criteria:
See the value of Environmental studies projects and look at the big picture.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Sustainability process?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Sustainability delivery for example is new software needed?
Green accounting Critical Criteria:
Unify Green accounting planning and define Green accounting competency-based leadership.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Sustainability agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Sustainability activities?
– How to Secure Sustainability?
Green cities Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Green cities management and oversee implementation of Green cities.
– Why is Sustainability important for you now?
Modern architecture Critical Criteria:
Discourse Modern architecture strategies and define what our big hairy audacious Modern architecture goal is.
– Does the Sustainability task fit the clients priorities?
– Who sets the Sustainability standards?
Green anarchism Critical Criteria:
Detail Green anarchism projects and define what do we need to start doing with Green anarchism.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Sustainability Management?
– What are our Sustainability Processes?
– How much does Sustainability help?
Environmental Performance Index Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Environmental Performance Index projects and gather Environmental Performance Index models .
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Sustainability?
– How do we keep improving Sustainability?
Carbon footprint Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Carbon footprint risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Carbon footprint projects.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Sustainability into the services that we provide?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Sustainability?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Sustainability process?
Holocene extinction Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Holocene extinction planning and devote time assessing Holocene extinction and its risk.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Sustainability project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Sustainability?
– Are there recognized Sustainability problems?
Agrarian community Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Agrarian community engagements and correct Agrarian community management by competencies.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Sustainability strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How to deal with Sustainability Changes?
Gift economy Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Gift economy failures and raise human resource and employment practices for Gift economy.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Sustainability requirements in detail?
– Why should we adopt a Sustainability framework?
– Are there Sustainability problems defined?
Greenhouse effect Critical Criteria:
Debate over Greenhouse effect visions and question.
– Think about the people you identified for your Sustainability project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Sustainability is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Does our organization need more Sustainability education?
Human population control Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Human population control issues and describe which business rules are needed as Human population control interface.
– Does Sustainability analysis show the relationships among important Sustainability factors?
Earth Summit Critical Criteria:
Check Earth Summit leadership and maintain Earth Summit for success.
– What is our formula for success in Sustainability ?
– Who needs to know about Sustainability ?
Fisheries management Critical Criteria:
Group Fisheries management issues and customize techniques for implementing Fisheries management controls.
– For your Sustainability project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do we have past Sustainability Successes?
Global hectare Critical Criteria:
Adapt Global hectare engagements and correct Global hectare management by competencies.
Global catastrophic risk Critical Criteria:
Confer over Global catastrophic risk governance and create a map for yourself.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Sustainability goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Closed systems Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Closed systems decisions and gather Closed systems models .
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Sustainability ?
– How do we Lead with Sustainability in Mind?
Energy poverty Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Energy poverty tactics and correct Energy poverty management by competencies.
– How do we maintain Sustainabilitys Integrity?
Environmental design Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Environmental design goals and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Environmental design information.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Sustainability processes of our organization?
– Is Sustainability Required?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Infer Integrated Authority File governance and achieve a single Integrated Authority File view and bringing data together.
– What are the barriers to increased Sustainability production?
– What are the usability implications of Sustainability actions?
Brundtland Commission Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Brundtland Commission tactics and finalize the present value of growth of Brundtland Commission.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Sustainability? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are our needs in relation to Sustainability skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who will provide the final approval of Sustainability deliverables?
Cradle-to-cradle design Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Cradle-to-cradle design tasks and work towards be a leading Cradle-to-cradle design expert.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Sustainability? There might be some that are less obvious?
Ecological engineering Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Ecological engineering tasks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Ecological engineering.
– Does Sustainability systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is there a Sustainability Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Sustainability moving forward?
Ecological footprint Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Ecological footprint goals and look at it backwards.
– Does Sustainability create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Does Sustainability analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How would one define Sustainability leadership?
Limits to Growth Critical Criteria:
Detail Limits to Growth decisions and get going.
– In what ways are Sustainability vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What is the purpose of Sustainability in relation to the mission?
– What is Effective Sustainability?
Chemical engineering Critical Criteria:
Generalize Chemical engineering quality and pioneer acquisition of Chemical engineering systems.
– In the case of a Sustainability project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Sustainability project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Sustainability project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
Demand management Critical Criteria:
Review Demand management adoptions and mentor Demand management customer orientation.
– Which are the key performance indicators for Customer Service?
– Is your organization considering or implementing the concept of DevOps?
– How can we improve Sustainability?
Human overpopulation Critical Criteria:
Recall Human overpopulation failures and arbitrate Human overpopulation techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– To what extent does management recognize Sustainability as a tool to increase the results?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Sustainability effort?
Emissions trading Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Emissions trading outcomes and plan concise Emissions trading education.
– Do the Sustainability decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are the short and long-term Sustainability goals?
Gantry cranes Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Gantry cranes engagements and research ways can we become the Gantry cranes company that would put us out of business.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Sustainability forward?
– How likely is the current Sustainability plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Environmental finance Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Environmental finance decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Sustainability product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Sustainability workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Computational sustainability Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Computational sustainability governance and devote time assessing Computational sustainability and its risk.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Sustainability is underway?
Millennium Development Goals Critical Criteria:
Model after Millennium Development Goals governance and find the ideas you already have.
Introduced species Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Introduced species tasks and devote time assessing Introduced species and its risk.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Sustainability experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Environmental racism Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Environmental racism leadership and give examples utilizing a core of simple Environmental racism skills.
– Are we Assessing Sustainability and Risk?
Arne Næss Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Arne Næss risks and figure out ways to motivate other Arne Næss users.
Interior design Critical Criteria:
Study Interior design engagements and plan concise Interior design education.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Sustainability models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is Sustainability Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
International Conference on Population and Development Critical Criteria:
Huddle over International Conference on Population and Development goals and arbitrate International Conference on Population and Development techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How can skill-level changes improve Sustainability?
Energy conversion efficiency Critical Criteria:
Define Energy conversion efficiency quality and forecast involvement of future Energy conversion efficiency projects in development.
Environmental science Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Environmental science adoptions and catalog Environmental science activities.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Sustainability move?
– What will drive Sustainability change?
Appropriate technology Critical Criteria:
Learn from Appropriate technology leadership and assess what counts with Appropriate technology that we are not counting.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Sustainability values?
Depletion of resources Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Depletion of resources leadership and define Depletion of resources competency-based leadership.
Environmental economics Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Environmental economics quality and mentor Environmental economics customer orientation.
– In a project to restructure Sustainability outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Will Sustainability deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Is the scope of Sustainability defined?
Organic farming Critical Criteria:
Shape Organic farming adoptions and point out Organic farming tensions in leadership.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Sustainability leaders?
– How do we Improve Sustainability service perception, and satisfaction?
Environmental security Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Environmental security results and slay a dragon.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Sustainability objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Sustainability project?
– Are there Sustainability Models?
Energy crisis Critical Criteria:
Debate over Energy crisis tactics and optimize Energy crisis leadership as a key to advancement.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Sustainability that make it risky?
Local food Critical Criteria:
Examine Local food risks and report on developing an effective Local food strategy.
International Resource Panel Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about International Resource Panel management and display thorough understanding of the International Resource Panel process.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Sustainability process?
Food chain Critical Criteria:
Merge Food chain adoptions and change contexts.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Sustainability project manager?
Energy flow Critical Criteria:
See the value of Energy flow results and maintain Energy flow for success.
Capital accumulation Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Capital accumulation management and oversee Capital accumulation requirements.
– How can you negotiate Sustainability successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Why are Sustainability skills important?
Landscape architecture Critical Criteria:
Investigate Landscape architecture risks and correct Landscape architecture management by competencies.
– How can you measure Sustainability in a systematic way?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Sustainability Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Sustainability External links:
Sustainability – Sysco
Sustainability | First American
45 Catchy Sustainability Campaign Slogans – …
Natural resource management External links:
Department of Natural Resource Management | South …
What Is Natural Resource Management? – Learn.org
Natural Resource Management – CA State Parks
Global warming External links:
Consequences and Effects of Global Warming | NRDC
The Global Warming Policy Forum (GWPF)
Extreme poverty External links:
World Bank President: Ending Extreme Poverty Possible …
ONE | Join the fight against extreme poverty
Intentional community External links:
Intentional Community – reddit
Welcome to FIC – Fellowship for Intentional Community
Ecological design External links:
Ecological design (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
Ecological Design by Sim Van der Ryn – Goodreads
Ecological design – Academic Writing
Acid rain External links:
Chance The Rapper – Acid Rain Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Effects of Acid Rain | US EPA
Acid Rain – University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
Environmental studies External links:
Environmental Studies Program – Central Washington University
UC Santa Cruz – Environmental Studies
Environmental Studies is a multidisciplinary academic field – which systematically studies human interaction with the environment in the interests of solving complex problems. Environmental Studies brings together the principles of Sciences, Commerce/ Economics and Social Sciences so as to solve contemporary environmental problems.
Green accounting External links:
bowling green accounting/finance – craigslist
[PDF]“KEY” POSITIONS IN GREEN ACCOUNTING …
Green Accounting Team – Official MapQuest
Green cities External links:
Cities: Skylines Green Cities | PART 2 | A DIFFERENT ANGLE
Opinion: Want green cities? Lose the cars – CNN
Green Cities – Partners
Modern architecture External links:
Home | Artisans Group, Modern architecture …
Take the Chill off Modern Architecture | This Old House
Martie Lieberman-Modern Sarasota, modern architecture …
Environmental Performance Index External links:
Yale Environmental Performance Index – Constructive
[PDF]ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE INDEX – CIESIN
Carbon footprint External links:
Carbon Footprint Calculator | Climate Change | US EPA
Holocene extinction External links:
What Is The Holocene Extinction? An Explainer | UPROXX
Holocene Extinction Countermeasures Community – …
Holocene Extinction – Quora
Agrarian community External links:
Elgin Agrarian Community – EACO – Home | Facebook
christian agrarian community (intentional community …
Gift economy External links:
Islamic Gift Economy Initiative – Home | Facebook
What is a gift economy? – Alex Gendler | TED-Ed
Gift Economy – Home | Facebook
Greenhouse effect External links:
The Meaning of Beep: Greenhouse Effect – GameUp – BrainPop
Greenhouse Effect Flashcards | Quizlet
Human population control External links:
Earth Summit External links:
Rio+20 Earth Summit | Democracy Now!
Rio Earth Summit Review, Jul 4 1992 | Video | C-SPAN.org
Agenda 21: The Earth Summit Strategy to Save Our Planet
Fisheries management External links:
Fisheries Management – New Mexico Department of Game & Fish
TPWD: Index of Fisheries Management
Global hectare External links:
Global Hectare or GHA | RecycleNation
Global hectare – How is Global hectare abbreviated?
Global catastrophic risk External links:
Global Catastrophic Risks. (eBook, 2008) [WorldCat.org]
People | Global Catastrophic Risk Institute
Closed systems External links:
Closed Systems – Industrial, DEF, Diesel Exhaust Fluid
[PDF]Energy Analysis of Closed Systems – West Virginia …
[PDF]Designs and Improvements in Closed Systems
Energy poverty External links:
Energy Poverty PIRE in Southern Africa
SolarBora – Solar Home Systems solving energy poverty
Energy poverty – International Energy Agency
Environmental design External links:
Integrated Authority File External links:
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated Authority File – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Brundtland Commission External links:
What is brundtland commission? – Quora
[PPT]Brundtland Commission: Our Common Future – …
Brundtland Commission – YouTube
Ecological engineering External links:
Ecological Engineering: A New Paradigm for Engineers …
Ecological Engineering – Journal – Elsevier
Ecological footprint External links:
Reduce your footprint: Ecological Footprint Quiz by …
[PDF]Ecological Footprint – University of South Carolina
Limits to Growth External links:
[PDF]Getting Started Limits to Growth
www.ws.k12.ny.us/Downloads/Limiting factors Reading.pdf
Is China Finally Discovering the Limits to Growth? | HuffPost
Limits To Growth? | HuffPost
Chemical engineering External links:
Chemical Engineering | Chemical Engineering | …
Chemical Engineering | College of Engineering
BYU – Chemical Engineering – Home
Demand management External links:
Demand management (eBook, 2011) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]DEMAND MANAGEMENT – Kişisel Sayfalar
System Dashboard – JIRA – Demand Management
Emissions trading External links:
[PDF]OVERVIEW OF ARB Emissions Trading Program
What Is Emissions Trading? | US EPA
Emissions Trading Schemes – FASB
Gantry cranes External links:
Gantry Cranes | Gorbel
Gantry Cranes – Home – Crane Depot
Environmental finance External links:
Environmental Finance Center | School of Public Service
Georgia Environmental Finance Authority | Georgia.gov
Home – Environmental Finance
Computational sustainability External links:
[PDF]Computational Sustainability: Smart Buildings
Computational sustainability (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
Millennium Development Goals External links:
Millennium Development Goals | HuffPost
Millennium Development Goals Flashcards | Quizlet
Which are UN Millennium Development goals? Check all …
Introduced species External links:
Introduced species can threaten biodiversity because …
Introduced species – ScienceDaily
Introduced species – ScienceDaily
Environmental racism External links:
Groups Accuse Miami of Environmental Racism After Irma
Environmental Justice & Environmental Racism | …
Coalition Against Environmental Racism
Arne Næss External links:
Arne Næss – Biography – IMDb
Arne Næss – IMDb
Arne Næss / Deep Ecology – Google+
Energy conversion efficiency External links:
[PDF]Improved Energy Conversion Efficiency in Wide …
Environmental science External links:
Environmental Science News — ScienceDaily
Unity College Online | Environmental Science & …
Earth and Environmental Science | Vanderbilt University
Appropriate technology External links:
Centre for Appropriate Technology – Home | Facebook
National Center for Appropriate Technology
Appropriate Technology | Pachamama Alliance
Depletion of resources External links:
Does depletion of resources affect economically? – Quora
Environmental economics External links:
Environmental Economics – NERA
E3 – Energy and Environmental Economics, Inc.
Environmental Economics – Investopedia
Organic farming External links:
Northeast Organic Farming Association of New Jersey – …
Home – NOFA-NY – Northeast Organic Farming Association …
MOSES Organic Farming Conference | MOSES
Environmental security External links:
What is environmental security? | Yale Insights
7 Physical and Environmental Security – USPS
Energy crisis External links:
Jan. 24, 2001: Energy Crisis in Calif. Video – ABC News
End Your Energy Crisis With Vitamin B12 | The Dr. Oz Show
Local food External links:
Local Food Events for Franklin, WI – LocalHarvest
Oak Creek WI Farmers’ Markets – Organic local food
Relocalize Ohio – Franklin County – Local Food
International Resource Panel External links:
International Resource Panel interview Lea Kauppi – …
Food chain External links:
Food Chain | Definition of Food Chain by Merriam-Webster
Food chain – ScienceDaily
Food Chain – Super Teacher Worksheets
Energy flow External links:
[PDF]U.S. energy flow, 2016
ENERGY FLOW IN ECOSYSTEMS Flashcards | Quizlet
Ecology Lesson Plans: Environment, Energy Flow, Cycles
Capital accumulation External links:
Capital Accumulation – Investopedia
Employees’ Capital Accumulation Plan – Voya Financial
“Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with …
Landscape architecture External links:
DBPR Professions – Board of Landscape Architecture
Department of Landscape Architecture