What is involved in IT Service Desk
Find out what the related areas are that IT Service Desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Service Desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Service Desk related domains to cover and 153 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Service Desk, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
IT Service Desk Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect IT Service Desk governance and check on ways to get started with IT Service Desk.
– What is the source of the strategies for IT Service Desk strengthening and reform?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IT Service Desk opportunities costing us money?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate IT service management leadership and attract IT service management skills.
– If we could not clearly quantify where the benefits were, we would then start getting lots of questions: why are you doing it because we could be spending the money elsewhere?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– If the service provider is eligible for certification, then what is the scope of the processes being audited?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade/refresh cycles?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– If your itsm team is slated for growth, what are the relevant reasons?
– Is there a defined enterprise IT tool strategy and architecture model?
– Are you managing incidents primarily through emails and phone calls?
– Who is most likely to drive it Service Management organizations?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– How many purchased licenses are in actual use?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– What is the scope of certification?
– does not soa solve these problems?
– Is ITIL becoming irrelevant?
– Performance supported?
– Fit for purpose?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Axios Systems goals and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Axios Systems.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IT Service Desk is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How important is IT Service Desk to the user organizations mission?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Business Process Framework governance and report on setting up Business Process Framework without losing ground.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IT Service Desk process?
– Is there any existing IT Service Desk governance structure?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Frame Business process issues and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Business process decisions.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IT Service Desk strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Capability Maturity Model Integration failures and create Capability Maturity Model Integration explanations for all managers.
– Is IT Service Desk dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What are the short and long-term IT Service Desk goals?
– Why is IT Service Desk important for you now?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Configuration management database engagements and spearhead techniques for implementing Configuration management database.
– If a customer complains that service levels are below those agreed in the sla, apparently due to a number of related hardware incidents, who is responsible for ensuring the cause is investigated?
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What are our needs in relation to IT Service Desk skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Are work control packages complete, ready for implementation, and attached?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– When: when do you start to place entities under configuration control?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– Are there design changes associated with the proposed change?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– Definition: what is software Configuration Management?
– Is a usq review required for the proposed change?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– How frequently should cab/ec meetings be held?
– Independent verification complete?
– How to make it easier to sell?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Continual improvement process tactics and report on developing an effective Continual improvement process strategy.
– For your IT Service Desk project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we ensure that implementations of IT Service Desk products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are the usability implications of IT Service Desk actions?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Functional requirement engagements and secure Functional requirement creativity.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IT Service Desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IT Service Desk study?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Judge ISO/IEC 20000 adoptions and summarize a clear ISO/IEC 20000 focus.
– Think of your IT Service Desk project. what are the main functions?
– Do IT Service Desk rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Mix ISO/IEC 27000 issues and test out new things.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IT Service Desk product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IT Service Desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IT Service Desk?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot ISO 9000 risks and question.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations IT Service Desk values?
– Is Supporting IT Service Desk documentation required?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on IT Service Management Forum results and oversee implementation of IT Service Management Forum.
– What about IT Service Desk Analysis of results?
– How much does IT Service Desk help?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Design Information Technology Infrastructure Library projects and define what our big hairy audacious Information Technology Infrastructure Library goal is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate IT Service Desk delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do the IT Service Desk decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing IT Service Desk?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Align Information security management risks and oversee Information security management management by competencies.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What are the long-term IT Service Desk goals?
– What are specific IT Service Desk Rules to follow?
– Who sets the IT Service Desk standards?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information technology results and develop and take control of the Information technology initiative.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Are we Assessing IT Service Desk and Risk?
– What is our IT Service Desk Strategy?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Marval Software risks and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Marval Software.
– Does IT Service Desk create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How do we go about Comparing IT Service Desk approaches/solutions?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Discuss Microsoft Operations Framework projects and optimize Microsoft Operations Framework leadership as a key to advancement.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IT Service Desk forward?
– Why are IT Service Desk skills important?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Network and Service Management Taxonomy strategies and separate what are the business goals Network and Service Management Taxonomy is aiming to achieve.
– Who needs to know about IT Service Desk ?
– How do we Lead with IT Service Desk in Mind?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Start Network management management and catalog what business benefits will Network management goals deliver if achieved.
– To what extent does management recognize IT Service Desk as a tool to increase the results?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Study Quality management results and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Quality management services.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IT Service Desk agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we manage IT Service Desk Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
– Are there IT Service Desk problems defined?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Service desk risks and revise understanding of Service desk architectures.
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– what is the best design framework for IT Service Desk organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of IT Service Desk activities?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– How does mobility improve our organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– Why a service desk?
– Is IT Service Desk Required?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Software engineering goals and track iterative Software engineering results.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Will IT Service Desk have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How would one define IT Service Desk leadership?
– How to Secure IT Service Desk?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Systems management visions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Systems management is getting what it needs.
– Consider your own IT Service Desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the key elements of your IT Service Desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Deduce United Kingdom leadership and revise understanding of United Kingdom architectures.
– Think about the people you identified for your IT Service Desk project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IT Service Desk into the services that we provide?
– What is our formula for success in IT Service Desk ?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Workflow management system goals and catalog what business benefits will Workflow management system goals deliver if achieved.
– What is the total cost related to deploying IT Service Desk, including any consulting or professional services?
– How will you measure your IT Service Desk effectiveness?
– Do we have past IT Service Desk Successes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Service Desk External links:
Home | IT Service Desk
IT Service Desk Live Chat – Delta Air Lines
IT Service Desk | Information Technology
IT service management External links:
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedyforce- IT Service Management and Help Desk – …
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems benefits and perks, including insurance benefits, retirement benefits, and vacation policy. Reported anonymously by Axios Systems employees.
Axios Systems – YouTube
Axios Systems – Home | Facebook
Business Process Framework External links:
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
What is the Business Process Framework? – YouTube
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
Business process External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Create Business Process Automation Apps – Salesforce.com
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Functional requirement External links:
What is functional and non functional requirement?
[DOC]FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT …
[PDF]Functional Requirements Document – University of …
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management | BSI America
[PDF]ISO/IEC 20000 Part 1 – the next edition
ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
What is ISO/IEC 27000 | IGI Global
ISO/IEC 27000 series FAQ
ISO 9000 External links:
Benefits of ISO 9000 – Perry Johnson Registrars, Inc.
List of ISO 9000 Registered Companies – 9000 Store
What is ISO 9000? – Definition from WhatIs.com
IT Service Management Forum External links:
It Service Management Forum – Yelp
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) …
Information security management External links:
Information Security Management – Home2
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
Information Security Management | California State …
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Marval Software External links:
Marval Software · GitHub
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Microsoft Operations Framework
What is Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF)? – …
Appendix A – Microsoft Operations Framework
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – WOW.com
Network management External links:
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Download Free Network Management & Free Network …
Netgear Insight: Wireless Network Management | NETGEAR
Quality management External links:
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Service desk External links:
Service Desk – fmPilot
NIH IT Service Desk
NIH IT Service Desk – Request for Service
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Software Engineering Institute
Systems management External links:
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
United Kingdom External links:
Kristina Rihanoff | United Kingdom | Dance to the Music Tour
Luxury Women’s Fashion Accessories – United Kingdom
United Kingdom – Faith – The George Michael Legacy
Workflow management system External links:
Document Management Software – Workflow Management System
Muller Martini Presents Connex Workflow Management System
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak