What is involved in Desktop Virtualization
Find out what the related areas are that Desktop Virtualization connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Desktop Virtualization thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Desktop Virtualization journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Desktop Virtualization leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Desktop Virtualization related domains to cover and 81 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Desktop Virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Desktop Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Recall Desktop Virtualization outcomes and probe Desktop Virtualization strategic alliances.
– Consider your own Desktop Virtualization project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Desktop Virtualization requirements in detail?
– Who sets the Desktop Virtualization standards?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Apple–Intel architecture visions and find the essential reading for Apple–Intel architecture researchers.
– How do we measure improved Desktop Virtualization service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are all of our Desktop Virtualization domains and what do they do?
– What are internal and external Desktop Virtualization relations?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Reason over Application software strategies and cater for concise Application software education.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Desktop Virtualization with what users do day-to-day?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Desktop Virtualization study?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– How do we manage Desktop Virtualization Knowledge Management (KM)?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Derive from Application virtualization decisions and create Application virtualization explanations for all managers.
– What are our needs in relation to Desktop Virtualization skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– Is a Desktop Virtualization Team Work effort in place?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Survey Citrix XenApp tactics and customize techniques for implementing Citrix XenApp controls.
– For your Desktop Virtualization project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What is our Desktop Virtualization Strategy?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Chat re Cloud computing outcomes and customize techniques for implementing Cloud computing controls.
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– Have you considered that incident detection and response can be more complicated in a cloud-based environment?
– There are issues relating to policy and access. if your data is stored abroad whose policy do you adhere to?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– Recoverability: how will the service provider respond to disasters and ensure continued service?
– How should we report on the geographic location (street address) for cloud computing solutions?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– Amazon web services is which type of cloud computing distribution model?
– Who will provide the final approval of Desktop Virtualization deliverables?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– How will cloud computing affect traditional recovery services?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– What should telcos be focusing on in 5 10 years?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– What happened to grid computing?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Grade Data as a service engagements and point out improvements in Data as a service.
– Among the Desktop Virtualization product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Does Desktop Virtualization systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Are there recognized Desktop Virtualization problems?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Desktop environment adoptions and finalize the present value of growth of Desktop environment.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Desktop Virtualization opportunities costing us money?
– What are the short and long-term Desktop Virtualization goals?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Investigate Hardware virtualization visions and optimize Hardware virtualization leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Desktop Virtualization objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How likely is the current Desktop Virtualization plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Microsoft App-V projects and plan concise Microsoft App-V education.
– Do we monitor the Desktop Virtualization decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Desktop Virtualization moving forward?
– What business benefits will Desktop Virtualization goals deliver if achieved?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Microsoft Windows strategies and define what do we need to start doing with Microsoft Windows.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Desktop Virtualization strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Which customers cant participate in our Desktop Virtualization domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Look at Oracle Corporation decisions and assess and formulate effective operational and Oracle Corporation strategies.
– What are the business goals Desktop Virtualization is aiming to achieve?
– Does Desktop Virtualization appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Read up on Parallels Desktop for Mac adoptions and describe the risks of Parallels Desktop for Mac sustainability.
– To what extent does management recognize Desktop Virtualization as a tool to increase the results?
– How will you know that the Desktop Virtualization project has been successful?
– Why are Desktop Virtualization skills important?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Remote Desktop Protocol adoptions and pioneer acquisition of Remote Desktop Protocol systems.
– What are specific Desktop Virtualization Rules to follow?
– How to deal with Desktop Virtualization Changes?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Remote Desktop Services projects and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Remote Desktop Services projects.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Desktop Virtualization into the services that we provide?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Desktop Virtualization products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Discourse Software as a service risks and define what do we need to start doing with Software as a service.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Desktop Virtualization in a volatile global economy?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Desktop Virtualization process?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Desktop Virtualization forward?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Generalize Tablet computer planning and explain and analyze the challenges of Tablet computer.
– How do we know that any Desktop Virtualization analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Value Thin client goals and sort Thin client activities.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Desktop Virtualization information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are our Desktop Virtualization Processes?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Dissect VMware Fusion risks and adjust implementation of VMware Fusion.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Desktop Virtualization project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Desktop Virtualization effort?
– Does the Desktop Virtualization task fit the clients priorities?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Confer over VMware Horizon View issues and adopt an insight outlook.
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on VMware ThinApp management and document what potential VMware ThinApp megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Desktop Virtualization is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Does our organization need more Desktop Virtualization education?
– How do we keep improving Desktop Virtualization?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Virtual PC strategies and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Virtual PC projects.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Desktop Virtualization processes?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Desktop Virtualization ?
– Is Desktop Virtualization Required?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Desktop Virtualization Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Desktop Virtualization External links:
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
ViewSonic Desktop Virtualization
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Application software External links:
Chapter 3 – Application Software
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Application virtualization External links:
Application Virtualization Engineer – SCCM Architects
Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1
Citrix XenApp External links:
Citrix XenApp 6.0 | FileMaker Community
[PDF]Title : Citrix XenApp 6.5 Administration – Test4actual
[PDF]Citrix Xenapp 6.5 Administration PDF – Koenig Solutions
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | …
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Desktop environment External links:
MATE Desktop Environment | MATE
Common Desktop Environment (CDE) | IT Services | USC
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Hardware virtualization External links:
[Update] Bypass The Hardware Virtualization …
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Oracle Corporation External links:
Oracle Corporation – ORCL – Stock Price Today – Zacks
ORCL : Summary for Oracle Corporation – Yahoo Finance
Oracle Corporation: NYSE:ORCL quotes & news – Google …
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 8.0 update for Windows 7 …
Apr 21, 2017 · Describes the Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Download Remote Desktop Client RDC 7.0 or 7.1 / …
Remote Desktop Services External links:
What’s New in Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server
Smart Card and Remote Desktop Services – technet.microsoft.com
Software as a service External links:
Software as a Service IT Monitoring Solutions | MyITOps
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Software as a Service – Banking Solutions | FinReach
Tablet computer External links:
Touchscreen Tablet Computer for Seniors
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Thin client External links:
DWD Thin Client System
TER Death Thin Client Page
TER Death Thin Client Page
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View
Virtual PC External links:
How to install Virtual PC Additions on a guest PC
Virtual PC | Division of Information Technology