What is involved in Gap Analysis
Find out what the related areas are that Gap Analysis connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Gap Analysis thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Gap Analysis journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Gap Analysis leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Gap Analysis related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Gap Analysis, Benchmarking, Business, Business process, Capability, Capital, Growth-share matrix, Information technology, Management, Office of Government Commerce, Operations research, Organization, PRINCE2, Production possibilities frontier, Resource allocation:
Gap Analysis Critical Criteria:
Investigate Gap Analysis outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of Gap Analysis relationship management.
– Is the Gap Analysis organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Gap Analysis Management?
– How is the value delivered by Gap Analysis being measured?
Benchmarking Critical Criteria:
Focus on Benchmarking issues and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Gap Analysis requirements in detail?
– Will Gap Analysis deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Who sets the Gap Analysis standards?
Business Critical Criteria:
Frame Business leadership and maintain Business for success.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– How can you create a cross application architecture that supports your current systems, while at the same time accommodating changing business needs?
– Do organizations have a methodology in place for the proper allocation of business resources to invest in, create and maintain IT standards?
– Prepared for the potential extra demands that recovering your business will place on you, both personally and financially?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– How will businesses be impacted by a disaster (e.g., earthquake, tsunami, flood)?
– To what extent are business owners involved in the bc management lifecycle?
– Does creating or modifying reports or dashboards require a reporting team?
– How Can Business Engage The Education Pipeline More Effectively?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– How does this service support business activities?
– What would true business intelligence look like?
– Where is the business intelligence bottleneck?
– How well did we share information between us?
– How stable is it across domains/geographies?
– What do Business Partners think?
– Should you reopen your business?
– What is success for an alliance?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Business process engagements and create a map for yourself.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– What are the barriers to increased Gap Analysis production?
– What is Effective Gap Analysis?
Capability Critical Criteria:
See the value of Capability governance and spearhead techniques for implementing Capability.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– When considering our organizational capability to make desired changes, do we ask the following questions: are the staffing level, funding, and physical plant potential assets or deterrents, and to what degree?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– How do interorganizational and interpersonal networks affect our strategic adaptive capability in a transition economy?
– Does the company have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– Do we have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Gap Analysis process?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Do you have the capability to measure cost per lead or cost per acquisition?
– Are assumptions made in Gap Analysis stated explicitly?
– Does It Fit With Our Culture, Capability And Desires?
– What is the logging capability for audit purposes?
– What capability are we seeking to access?
– Is unnecessary capability harmful?
– What is a Capability?
Capital Critical Criteria:
Graph Capital risks and look in other fields.
– An important question is: if a project is undertaken, will failure of the project risk putting the company into bankruptcy?
– What factors must be considered that otherwise may be ignored when the objective is to discount net cash flow after taxes?
– Do you contemplate any change in your capital structure or any substantial increase or decrease in equity capital?
– Why might a firm prefer accelerated depreciation, such as MACRS tables, to straight-line depreciation?
– Understand how we incorporate risk into capital budgeting decisions. What techniques are used?
– Why should the capital budgeting process use cash flows instead of accounting profits?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– Screening decisions. Does a proposed project meet some preset standard of acceptance?
– Which investments does the firm accept if the cutoff payback period is three years?
– Do HR systems educate leaders about the quality of their human capital decisions?
– How can poor capital budgeting decisions produce negative effects to the firm?
– What is the difference between a current expenditure and a capital investment?
– Using the discounted payback rule, should the firm invest in the new product?
– What is the primary purpose of expansion projects and replacement projects?
– What are the yearly depreciation allowances using ACRS depreciation?
– What is the basic present value equation used in capital budgeting?
– What are the costs and benefits of maintaining inventories?
– What are the various types of capital budgeting decisions?
– What If Investment Projects Are Not Perpetuities?
– What is Internal Rate of Return (IRR)?
Growth-share matrix Critical Criteria:
Scan Growth-share matrix adoptions and create Growth-share matrix explanations for all managers.
– Can we add value to the current Gap Analysis decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Gap Analysis delivery for example is new software needed?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Gap Analysis leader?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Refer to Information technology visions and cater for concise Information technology education.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Gap Analysis is underway?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Does our organization need more Gap Analysis education?
Management Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Management governance and observe effective Management.
– How do you merge agile, lightweight processes with standard industrial processes without either killing agility or undermining the years youve spent defining and refining your systems and software process assets?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan include alternative methods for meeting critical functional responsibilities in the absence of IT or communication technology?
– Will our actions, process, program or procedure prevent access to necessary records or result in changes to data in them?
– Does our organization have a Cybersecurity Risk Management process that is functioning and repeatable?
– Given the defined customer segment and defined problem/pain, what is the potential market size?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational Risk Management?
– Are key data-management staff identified with clearly assigned responsibilities?
– What information (both incoming and outgoing) is required by the organization?
– How well are you able to provide consistent service delivery?
– Is there an incentive for visitors/customers to register?
– Does the user have permission to create activities?
– Regional databases with access for other parties?
– How are the evaluative criteria and dimensions chosen?
– Vendor Risk Management, how much is enough?
– What factors dictate your sell decision?
– What is the newest innovation in online learning?
– What is Post Implementation Review?
– What is involved in idea screening?
– What are the sources of research?
Office of Government Commerce Critical Criteria:
Participate in Office of Government Commerce risks and look at the big picture.
– What are the disruptive Gap Analysis technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Which Gap Analysis goals are the most important?
– What threat is Gap Analysis addressing?
Operations research Critical Criteria:
Read up on Operations research issues and find out what it really means.
– Is Gap Analysis dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Does the Gap Analysis task fit the clients priorities?
– What are the short and long-term Gap Analysis goals?
Organization Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Organization risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Organization projects.
– Distribution of Savings – It should be distributed in proportion to contribution to savings, after expenses, but will savings go to investors, owners, to cover lost hospital or providers revenues relative to fee for service?
– Has the team ensured that key cultural barriers (e.g., training and skills required for new jobs, entrenched culture, incompatible support structures, fear of downsizing) are addressed in its Change Management strategy?
– How do employee selection and development practices, as well as staff performance management, well-being, motivation, satisfaction, and compensation, contribute to the growth of the organization?
– Are priorities and opportunities deployed to your suppliers, partners, and collaborators to ensure organizational alignment?
– How would you characterize the adequacy of Risk Management typically done for projects and programs in your organization?
– Does the organization have an infrastructure in place in order to provide timely, honest communication with employees?
– What is the implication for business relationship management if we consider the organization as a social actor?
– Will the organizations leaders accept their new leadership or management roles in support of the change?
– Which systems play a pivotal role in our organizations continued operations and goal attainment?
– Think about: how and why was the change introduced and by whom?
– How will we continue our operations, if something happens?
– Senior managers can move on – what happens when they do?
– What are the results to which we should aspire?
– Do you plan to expand this pilot if successful?
– Who are your organizations customers?
– What is change?
– What is SOW?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
Audit PRINCE2 results and remodel and develop an effective PRINCE2 strategy.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Gap Analysis process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Gap Analysis process available?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Gap Analysis values?
– Does Gap Analysis analysis show the relationships among important Gap Analysis factors?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
Production possibilities frontier Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Production possibilities frontier issues and perfect Production possibilities frontier conflict management.
– What is the source of the strategies for Gap Analysis strengthening and reform?
– What is our Gap Analysis Strategy?
Resource allocation Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Resource allocation tactics and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Resource allocation.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Gap Analysis processes?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Gap Analysis?
– What vendors make products that address the Gap Analysis needs?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Gap Analysis Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Gap Analysis External links:
How to Perform a Technology Gap Analysis for Your …
Army COOL – Gap Analysis Pages
Benchmarking External links:
E/M Utilization Benchmarking Tool – E/M Calculator – AAPC
Welcome to B3 Benchmarking
Business External links:
Small Business Administration – Official Site
Business process External links:
Information technology and business process …
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Capability External links:
[PDF]How to Write a Capability Statement – …
2018 Ford® Super Duty Truck | Capability Features | Ford.com
2017 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Trucks – Capability & Performance
Capital External links:
Capital and Lowercase Letters in Titles (Title Case)
How to Capitalize Words in Titles | Grammar Girl
Growth-share matrix External links:
Growth-Share Matrix – Read How to Make BCGs, See …
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Management External links:
Title Management | Login
Motor Vehicle Title Management – Lien Solutions
Document Management Incorporated :: Motor Vehicle Solutions
Office of Government Commerce External links:
OFFICE OF GOVERNMENT COMMERCE – Sensagent.com
dictionary.sensagent.com/OFFICE OF GOVERNMENT COMMERCE/en-en
Operations research External links:
Operations research (Book, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Operations Research on JSTOR
Operations Research (O.R.), or operational research in the U.K, is a discipline that deals with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions.
PRINCE2 External links:
Prince2 Foundation Flashcards | Quizlet
Resource allocation External links:
Resource Allocation | Prose and Purpose
Resource Allocation. (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]