What is involved in Quality Engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Quality Engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Quality Engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Quality Engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Quality Engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Quality Engineering related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Quality Engineering, Agile software development, Engineering management, Enterprise architecture, INFORMS, IT service management, Information security management, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Knowledge management, Manufacturing engineering, Quality assurance, Quality objectives, RACI matrix, Requirements analysis, Software development process, Software engineering, Software product management, Software quality, Software quality management, Software testing, Systems Engineering:
Quality Engineering Critical Criteria:
Coach on Quality Engineering governance and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Quality Engineering services.
– Are there Quality Engineering problems defined?
– What threat is Quality Engineering addressing?
– What are our Quality Engineering Processes?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Agile software development adoptions and pioneer acquisition of Agile software development systems.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Quality Engineering strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Can research really be relegated to a series of steps that when performed in sequence result in a new product?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– What are some keys to successfully conquering ever changing business requirements?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– what is the difference between Agile Development and Lean UX?
– What changes need to be made to agile development today?
– How do you scale Agile to large (500-5000 person) teams?
– Regulated Backward Compatibility and Version Numbering?
– How do you best coordinate Agile and non-Agile teams?
– How do Web Operators communicate with Developers?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– Does your team use Agile Methodology?
– What is Scale and Why Manage It?
– When using Extreme Programming?
– Are Agile teams collocated?
Engineering management Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Engineering management engagements and customize techniques for implementing Engineering management controls.
– What is the plan to align prime contractors systems engineering management plan (semp) with the Program Management office (pmo) sep?
– Is the Quality Engineering organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What will drive Quality Engineering change?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Enterprise architecture failures and test out new things.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– How to deal with Quality Engineering Changes?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
– How to Secure Quality Engineering?
INFORMS Critical Criteria:
Apply INFORMS engagements and assess and formulate effective operational and INFORMS strategies.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Quality Engineering strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Quality Engineering?
– How can the value of Quality Engineering be defined?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Disseminate IT service management tasks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive IT service management decisions.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices, and why wont we?
– Have you deployed, or are you looking to deploy, any application discovery and dependency mapping (ADDM) solutions?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– Does current usage support ongoing contract negotiations for maintenance and upgrade renewals?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– Is the service provider eligible for certification under the scheme?
– How do we Improve Quality Engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– What is it Service Management?
– Where does the data reside?
– Quality of Service Met?
– Are we over licensed?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Information security management management and find out what it really means.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Quality Engineering, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– Are there recognized Quality Engineering problems?
Institute of Industrial Engineers Critical Criteria:
Understand Institute of Industrial Engineers strategies and triple focus on important concepts of Institute of Industrial Engineers relationship management.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Quality Engineering is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Which customers cant participate in our Quality Engineering domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Quality Engineering project?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Knowledge management tactics and innovate what needs to be done with Knowledge management.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Quality Engineering process?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Does Quality Engineering analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we manage Quality Engineering Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Manufacturing engineering Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Manufacturing engineering decisions and pioneer acquisition of Manufacturing engineering systems.
– In the case of a Quality Engineering project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Quality Engineering project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Quality Engineering project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Quality Engineering services/products?
– When a Quality Engineering manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Quality assurance tactics and transcribe Quality assurance as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Is the Quality Assurance function recognized to be different from implicit and continuous quality control during fabrication, in that it is discrete, explicit following production, and ignores the sequence or nature of the fabrication steps or processes?
– How do employee selection and development practices, as well as staff performance management, well-being, motivation, satisfaction, and compensation, contribute to the growth of the organization?
– What is your Quality Assurance process to ensure that the large volumes of data gathered in the monitoring process are handled efficiently?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– What is the availability of and cost of internal Quality Assurance manpower necessary to monitor each performance indicator?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Quality Engineering is underway?
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– How does the company develop, manage, measure, and improve processes to achieve performance excellence?
– How does the company create high performance relationships with its independent trade partners?
– Are records maintained in fireproof enclosures that are sealed to prevent moisture intrusion?
– Are Quality Assurance records stored in folders, binders, or other suitable protection?
– What is the process for grading the application of qa requirements for activities?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– How does improper/incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– Who is responsible for communicating protocol changes to field staff?
– Is the system or component adequately labeled for ease of operation?
– How does automation fit into Quality Assurance?
– How often are your current policies evaluated?
– Is the qa plan approved?
Quality objectives Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Quality objectives adoptions and question.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Quality Engineering product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does the Quality Engineering task fit the clients priorities?
– Have Data Quality objectives been met?
– Are we Assessing Quality Engineering and Risk?
RACI matrix Critical Criteria:
Contribute to RACI matrix risks and handle a jump-start course to RACI matrix.
– Does Quality Engineering systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Are there Quality Engineering Models?
Requirements analysis Critical Criteria:
Discuss Requirements analysis issues and point out improvements in Requirements analysis.
– Have you identified your Quality Engineering key performance indicators?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Software development process decisions and look at it backwards.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Quality Engineering leader?
– What is the source of the strategies for Quality Engineering strengthening and reform?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Survey Software engineering outcomes and proactively manage Software engineering risks.
– Does Quality Engineering include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Think about the people you identified for your Quality Engineering project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How do we know that any Quality Engineering analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Software product management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Software product management goals and perfect Software product management conflict management.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Quality Engineering agendas for the next 3 years?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Quality Engineering leaders?
Software quality Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Software quality issues and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Software quality is getting what it needs.
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– The need for high-quality software is glaring. But what constitutes software quality?
Software quality management Critical Criteria:
Chat re Software quality management decisions and report on the economics of relationships managing Software quality management and constraints.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Quality Engineering processes?
– Is maximizing Quality Engineering protection the same as minimizing Quality Engineering loss?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Software testing projects and find out what it really means.
– Does Quality Engineering create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Quality Engineering?
– Is Quality Engineering Required?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
See the value of Systems Engineering governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Systems Engineering results.
– If we can describe engineered systems in a way analogous to natural systems (global complexity emerging from local simplicity, for example), can we identify the parameters which obey the kind of power-law relationship we find in natural systems?
– What constraints apply, either in the nature and scope of our design effort (time, cost, funding, and other resources) or in the nature (size, cost, weight, etc.) of our solution?
– The complexity of our design task is significantly affected by the nature of the objectives for the systems to be designed. is the task intricate, or difficult?
– How do we achieve sufficient predictability in developing the system so as to enable meaningful costed and time-bounded, resourced plans to be formed?
– How will we know when our design effort has produced a solution which will satisfy the objectives within the constraints?
– What will take the place of magnitude in our attempts to discern a power-law relationship?
– How are you going to know that the system is performing correctly once it is operational?
– What is the detailed set of functions and properties of a given interface?
– Does management understand principles and concepts of system engineering?
– What will happen if there is a loss of key staff or contractor personnel?
– Typical concerns on the design side: what is the required functionality?
– Do the requirements satisfy the intent and all key items of the need?
– What are the expectations and limits of the given integration?
– Why has systems engineering emerged as a distinct discipline?
– What is the geographic and physical extent of the system?
– Where would we like to be in the future?
– Why model-based architectures?
– Deliver interim releases?
– Right requirements?
– What is a system?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Quality Engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Quality Engineering External links:
Abstracta – Nearshore Software Quality Engineering …
Agile software development External links:
Mobile Apps, Digital Products, Agile Software Development
Freeport Metrics | Agile Software Development and Design
RoleModel Software – Custom Agile Software Development
Engineering management External links:
Engineering Management Program | University of …
American Society for Engineering Management | Home
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Professional Journal
Center for Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
INFORMS External links:
IOL Home – INFORMS
IT service management External links:
#1 Authentication Suite For IT Service Management | AuthAnvil
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Information security management External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Information Security Management – Home2
Federal Information Security Management Act – CSRC
Institute of Industrial Engineers External links:
Institute of Industrial Engineers – Iowa State University
Institute of Industrial Engineers – Blue Cottage Consulting
Front Page | Institute of Industrial Engineers
Knowledge management External links:
A hub for technical knowledge management. — NDCAC
tealbook | Supplier Discovery, Knowledge Management …
Knowledge Management System – Login
Manufacturing engineering External links:
Manufacturing Engineering Technology Courses
TMD Jobs : Find Automotive Manufacturing Engineering …
Quality assurance External links:
The FQC – Training Programs | Quality Assurance
QLS – Quality Assurance, Inspection, Temporary Labor
Think of quality assurance as before the goods or services have been produced and quality control is during the production of the goods or services. The former ensures that there will be quality and the latter controls the execution to ensure that there was quality.
Quality objectives External links:
[PDF]EPA WORKBOOK – DATA QUALITY OBJECTIVES …
[PDF]3.0 Data Quality Objectives
ERIC – Saving Educational Dollars through Quality Objectives.
RACI matrix External links:
[XLS]RACI Matrix – Medicaid 1115 Waiver, Texas Region 10 RHP
[XLS]RACI Matrix: Requirements Phase – UC Santa Cruz
[XLS]RACI Matrix – Axia Consulting
Requirements analysis External links:
[PDF]2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS – New York …
Business Requirements Analysis – Project Management …
Introduction to Requirements Analysis | About …
Software development process External links:
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Codesmith | Software Engineering & Machine Learning
Software product management External links:
Software Product Management – Staffing Ratios | TCGen
Software Product Management | SpringerLink
Software Product Management Training by InnoTivum
Software quality External links:
[PDF]Title: Software Quality Assurance Engineer Reports …
Pacific NW Software Quality Conference – PNSQC
[PPT]Software Quality Assurance (SQA)
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
PractiTest: Software Testing & QA Test Management Tools
Software Testing Certification Information – ASTQB …
Systems Engineering External links:
Industrial Automation | Control Systems Engineering | Valin
Innoslate | PLM and Systems Engineering Tools
Department of Biological Systems Engineering | …