What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 137 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Security Assessment and Testing management and look at the big picture.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Security Assessment and Testing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– What are the long-term Security Assessment and Testing goals?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Canvass Security testing adoptions and plan concise Security testing education.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– How do we Lead with Security Assessment and Testing in Mind?
Access control Critical Criteria:
X-ray Access control engagements and finalize specific methods for Access control acceptance.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Security Assessment and Testing? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– Among the Security Assessment and Testing product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– In a project to restructure Security Assessment and Testing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– Who determines access controls?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Mine Antivirus software visions and point out improvements in Antivirus software.
– What are the key elements of your Security Assessment and Testing performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are our needs in relation to Security Assessment and Testing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Security Assessment and Testing project manager?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Systematize Application security decisions and report on setting up Application security without losing ground.
– Do those selected for the Security Assessment and Testing team have a good general understanding of what Security Assessment and Testing is all about?
– Which Security Assessment and Testing goals are the most important?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– Is a Security Assessment and Testing Team Work effort in place?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Computer access control goals and integrate design thinking in Computer access control innovation.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Security Assessment and Testing?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Security Assessment and Testing?
– How do we maintain Security Assessment and Testings Integrity?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Computer crime tactics and catalog what business benefits will Computer crime goals deliver if achieved.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Do the Security Assessment and Testing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Are we Assessing Security Assessment and Testing and Risk?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Recall Computer security quality and balance specific methods for improving Computer security results.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Are there Security Assessment and Testing problems defined?
– How can we improve Security Assessment and Testing?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Computer virus outcomes and track iterative Computer virus results.
– what is the best design framework for Security Assessment and Testing organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Security Assessment and Testing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is maximizing Security Assessment and Testing protection the same as minimizing Security Assessment and Testing loss?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Discuss Computer worm decisions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– How important is Security Assessment and Testing to the user organizations mission?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Map Data-centric security management and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Data-centric security projects.
– Who will provide the final approval of Security Assessment and Testing deliverables?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– How would one define Security Assessment and Testing leadership?
– Are there Security Assessment and Testing Models?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Track Denial of service goals and intervene in Denial of service processes and leadership.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– How do we go about Comparing Security Assessment and Testing approaches/solutions?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Detail False positives and false negatives projects and perfect False positives and false negatives conflict management.
– Who sets the Security Assessment and Testing standards?
– How can the value of Security Assessment and Testing be defined?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Information security projects and get answers.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– Is mgmt able to determine whether security activities delegated to people or implemented by information security are performing as expected?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (CISO or equivalent title)?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
– What is information security?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Information system governance and get the big picture.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Security Assessment and Testing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– How will you measure your Security Assessment and Testing effectiveness?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
– How to Secure Security Assessment and Testing?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Dissect Internet security issues and reduce Internet security costs.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Security Assessment and Testing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Security Assessment and Testing move?
– Is the scope of Security Assessment and Testing defined?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Grade Intrusion detection system governance and assess and formulate effective operational and Intrusion detection system strategies.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Security Assessment and Testing been identified and analyzed?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Who needs to know about Security Assessment and Testing ?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Apply Intrusion prevention system projects and perfect Intrusion prevention system conflict management.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Security Assessment and Testing into the services that we provide?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Steer Mobile secure gateway governance and catalog Mobile secure gateway activities.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Security Assessment and Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Security Assessment and Testing process available?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Security Assessment and Testing leader?
– How do we manage Security Assessment and Testing Knowledge Management (KM)?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Map Mobile security visions and get out your magnifying glass.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Security Assessment and Testing services/products?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Discourse Multi-factor authentication issues and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Multi-factor authentication projects.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we Identify specific Security Assessment and Testing investment and emerging trends?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Be clear about National Information Assurance Glossary visions and prioritize challenges of National Information Assurance Glossary.
– What is the source of the strategies for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform?
– How do we keep improving Security Assessment and Testing?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Focus on Network security governance and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Network security.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Penetration test planning and oversee Penetration test requirements.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– How can you measure Security Assessment and Testing in a systematic way?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Generalize Secure coding quality and overcome Secure coding skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Security Assessment and Testing objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
– What are current Security Assessment and Testing Paradigms?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Security-focused operating system governance and gather Security-focused operating system models .
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Security Assessment and Testing product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Unify Security by design quality and report on developing an effective Security by design strategy.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Security Assessment and Testing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Design Trojan horse engagements and find answers.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform actually originate?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Vulnerability assessment quality and catalog Vulnerability assessment activities.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
– What are all of our Security Assessment and Testing domains and what do they do?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security Assessment and Testing External links:
CISSP®: Security Assessment and Testing | Pluralsight
Security testing External links:
Security Testing | US-CERT
Network Security Testing, Training, and Management
Access control External links:
GoKeyless: Keyless Locks and Access Control Store | …
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Open Options – Open Platform Access Control
Antivirus software External links:
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Application security External links:
BLM Application Security System
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
Computer access control External links:
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
Computer Access Control – Home | Facebook
Computer crime External links:
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
Computer crime legal definition of computer crime
“Barney Miller” Computer Crime (TV Episode 1979) – IMDb
Computer security External links:
Computer Security | Consumer Information
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
UC San Diego Health System Computer Security
Computer virus External links:
Free computer viruses Essays and Papers – 123HelpMe
The Computer Virus (2004) – IMDb
New computer virus causes havoc | Daily Mail Online
Computer worm External links:
[PDF]THE COMPUTER WORM
Denial of service External links:
SMBLoris Windows Denial of Service Vulnerability
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
False Positives and False Negatives – Math is Fun
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Title & Settlement Information Security
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
[PDF]National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Internet security External links:
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
ZenMate – Internet Security and Privacy at its Best!
Intrusion detection system External links:
[PDF]Intrusion Detection System Sensor Protection Profile
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Intrusion prevention system
Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System …
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
Mobile security External links:
Mobile Security | Lookout, Inc.
Privoro | Mobile Security Products
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
Institute for Applied Network Security – Official Site
NIKSUN – Network Security and Performance
Penetration test External links:
Cyber Smart Defence | Penetration Test Ethical Hacking …
Penetration Test – Physical Penetration Testing – …
IT Security Consulting|Penetration Test|Digital …
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding – SEI CERT Coding Standards
Introduction to Secure Coding | MediaPro
Secure Coding Education | Manicode Security
Security by design External links:
Rubrik Cloud Data Management: Security by Design | Rubrik
Trojan horse External links:
Teachers learn to use math as Trojan horse for social justice
Dinners – The Trojan Horse
The Trojan Horse – Restaurant & Tavern
Vulnerability assessment External links:
Tunnel Vulnerability Assessment Best Practices Guide – …
[PDF]Unit IV – Vulnerability Assessment